A FREE course from Noah’s Ark Centre, Ovenden, produced in association with Credit Action.
This free four-week course will enable you to manage your money, learn how to budget, increase income/reduce spending, save and borrow sensibly, and deal with debt. Following the course, there’ll be a session on the new benefit rules from Pennine Housing, information about bank accounts from Credit Union, and you will be able to access the internet to let you compare energy deals and/or check your benefit entitlement.
To register your interest please contact the Noah’s Ark Centre on 01422 366911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Green Doctor is a free service provided by Groundwork to help tackle fuel poverty.
The Green Doctor service involves a friendly home visit to assess your energy use, helping to identify how you could be using less and saving money. It could save you up to £110 per year or more on your energy bills.
- Are you on a low household income of less than £16,160 a year?
- Do you receive income or disability related benefits?
- Do you receive state pension credit?
- Do you receive tax credits and have children under 16 living at home?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions and live in or privately rent your own home in Calderdale, the Green Doctor home energy health check is for you. All of the following are available free of charge:
Energy efficiency advice
Draught proofing, tank jackets and radiator reflector panels supplied and fitted
A home energy information pack
Details of the insulation and heating grants available for owners and private tenants
Access to advice on fuel debt, supplier switching and payment options
For further details and to arrange your home visit, contact us on 0845 605 1230 or 0300 123 3550 (from a mobile) or email email@example.com
Reduced fare train travel for Metro Senior and Disabled pass holders.
Please note: The following changes do not affect holders of Metro-issued Blind Persons ENCS passes.
From Monday 2 January 2012 – For all train journeys wholly within West Yorkshire, the following now applies to Metro-issued ENCS Senior and Disabled (including companions) passes:
- For all travel on trains departing before 0929, Mondays to Fridays, pass holders pay the full adult fare on trains.
- For all train travel on trains departing after 0930, Mondays to Fridays, and all day Saturdays, Sundays and public Holidayspass holders:
- For a single journey pay approximately half the adult single anytime fare.
- For a return journey pay approximately half the adult off-peak return fare.
There is no further discount on the half-fare if you hold a Senior or Disabled National RailCard.
More information on the WYMetro Website…
The Council’s Home Improvement Service is launching a new project to reduce health hazards in the home and improve the energy efficiency, heating and safety of privately owned and rented homes in Calderdale.
Depending on the householder’s circumstances, they may apply for:
- Hand rails or banisters where one doesn’t already exist
- second stair rails
- additional internal grab rails
- key safes
- free and discounted loft and cavity wall fibre insulation
- advice about reducing fuel bills
- low cost financial assistance for heating systems and other forms of insulation
To apply for a free hand or grab rail please contact the Council’s HandyPerson Service on 01422 392422 or email all the details to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also find more information about the Home Improvement Service on the Calderdale Council website, here.